Home Page

St Paul's Church of EnglandPrimary School

Serving Christ in the Community

Special Educational Needs

Support during School Closures

As I'm sure you are aware, school staff are working hard to ensure that all children have access to resources through which they can continue learning at home. All staff believe that whilst it is important for children to continue learning, our current priority should be their mental health and wellbeing during this unsettling time. This is particularly important for our pupils with additional needs.

I will be posting resources that may be of use for those pupils on this page of the website, so please do keep checking back. In addition to this, be assured that school staff are here for you if you need us. Our pupil and family support workers (Mrs Graham and Mrs Heslop) have been in touch with some of you and will continue to make regular calls. If you wish to speak to me, please let them know or alternatively contact school and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

May I also take this opportunity to wish all our families the very best during this difficult time,

Mrs Westlake 



Transition back into school

Some of the children in years Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 may be anxious or apprehensive about returning to school, as well as the changes to the usual school routine. I have been preparing a social story about the return to school (and changes the children will experience) which I will be posting out to some children over half term. However, I am aware that other children may find this useful too so a copy is also available below:

Acorn Psychology Helpline

Staff from Acorn Psychology (educational psychology service) regularly support the children and staff at St. Paul's. During this period, they have kindly offered free phone/Skype consultations for parents who may need advice around supporting their children with additional needs. If you feel this would be useful, please contact them directly using the details below:

Office telephone: 01254 686937




Useful Resources

Advice from Lancashire Educational Psychologists

The Educational Psychology team from the Local Authority have put together a document containing useful tips and resources.

Home Learning Newsletter

Our specialist teacher, Miss Cook, has kindly provided us with another newsletter from the local authority. It is full of good tips and ideas for how to support children with additional needs whilst learning at home.

Talking about Coronavirus:

Our Educational Psychologist sent the following advice about how best to talk to children about Coronavirus. This may be useful for all parents, not just parents of children with additional needs: 

Advice around supporting children's wellbeing:

Social Stories

Here are some social stories about the Coronavirus, explaining why schools have closed and why we need to remain inside as much as we can. These may be particularly useful for children with ASD:

Alternatively, there is another story here which may be more suitable for children in KS1:

Or some others which use PECs:

Visual prompts for handwashing:


As soon as a child gains admission to St. Paul’s, or if concerns are raised during their time with us, an assessment will be made and agreed by all parties as to whether any additional support is required and the form that this should take. Every effort will be made to acquire the resources needed to put this support in place. This could include finance, teaching resources, advice from external agencies and extra staffing. At St. Paul’s, we work closely with all parties in order to make the process of providing support for children with S.E.N.D. as easy and as positive as possible. This includes working closely with parents, as well as liaising with other professionals and support agencies.


Useful Documents


If you are looking for an overview about how St. Paul's identifies and supports children with S.E.N.D., we hope you will find our Information Report a useful place to start:

S.E.N.D. Information Report 2019

If you need further information about areas such as admission arrangements, accessibility and many more, you may wish to read our S.E.N.D. policy:

S.E.N.D. Policy 2019

If you still have further questions or wish to discuss anything further, please contact one of the staff below:


SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) – Mrs Emily Westlake

Contact 01282 617035


SEN Governor – Mrs Patricia Oates

Contact 01282 617035

For further information about support for children with S.E.N.D. please follow the link below to the Lancashire Local Offer:



Whilst we endeavour to do all we can to support our pupils with S.E.N.D., if you ever have concerns about the support we are offering (including a concern that we have not provided the support required by your child's EHC plan) please follow these steps in order, moving on to the next one if your complaint is not resolved.


1. Contact the school SENCO (Mrs Westlake) using the details above.


2. Follow the school complaints procedure which can be found under the 'Parents' tab.


3. Contact the local authority at