Throughout the year the children work from the Development Matters document. They are aiming to achieve the Early Learning Goals which are the end of year expectations.
Children aged 40-60 Months (This is the age they are when they start school)
- Gives meaning to marks they make as they draw, write and paint.
- Begins to break the flow of speech into words.
- Continues a rhyming string.
- Hears and says the initial sound in words.
- Can segment the sounds in simple words and blend them together.
- Links sounds to letters, naming and sounding the letters of the alphabet.
- Uses some clearly identifiable letters to communicate meaning, representing some sounds correctly and in sequence.
- Writes own name and other things such as labels, captions.
- Attempts to write short sentences in meaningful contexts.
Early Learning Goal
- Children use their phonic knowledge to write words in ways which match their spoken sounds.
- They also write some irregular common words.
- They write simple sentences which can be read by themselves and others. Some words are spelt correctly and others are phonetically plausible.