Throughout the year the children work from the Development Matters. They are aiming to achieve the Early Learning Goals by the end of the Summer Term.
40-60 Months (This is the age that children start school)
- Recognise some numerals of personal significance.
- Recognises numerals 1 to 5.
- Counts up to three or four objects by saying one number name for each item.
- Counts actions or objects which cannot be moved.
- Counts objects to 10, and beginning to count beyond 10.
- Counts out up to six objects from a larger group. Selects the correct numeral to represent 1 to 5, then 1 to 10 objects.
- Counts an irregular arrangement of up to ten objects.
- Estimates how many objects they can see and checks by counting them.
- Uses the language of ‘more’ and ‘fewer’ to compare two sets of objects.
- Finds the total number of items in two groups by counting all of them.
- Says the number that is one more than a given number.
- Finds one more or one less from a group of up to five objects, then ten objects.
- In practical activities and discussion, beginning to use the vocabulary involved in adding and subtracting.
- Records, using marks that they can interpret and explain.
- Begins to identify own mathematical problems based on own interests and fascinations.
Early Learning Goals
- Children count reliably with numbers from one to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number.
- Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer.
- They solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing.